Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public.
So don't go tromping around uninvited! CTRL-F to search within the page.

JACK WEST (1922-2010)
West was born in Galesburg IL, served in the US Navy during WWII, then attended Yale in Architecture, graduating in 1949. After practicing briefly in California, he moved to Sarasota FL and worked for Ralph Twitchell and Paul Rudolph. In 1951 West opened his own firm, then from 1953 to 1954 he formed a partnership with Ralph Twitchell, then from 1956 to 1960 a partnership with Elizabeth Boylston Waters. She was more interested in part time work, which West was not, so in 1965 he joined Rolland W. Seller and in 1966 partnered with engineer Al Conyers to create the firm of West and Conyers/Architects and Engineers, which lasted into the 1990s. West's commissions included a late 1950s remodel of the Tampa Courthouse, the Nokomis Beach Pavilion (1954), the First Christian Church in Sarasota (1960, destroyed), the Sarasota City Hall, the Bayshore Gardens Branch of First Federal Savings and Loan in Bradenton (1974, destroyed). He is the author of the 1988 book The Lives of an Architect.

1949 - The Cy Tobin House, location unknown. Destroyed.


1952 - The Sydney Lebar House, 1501 Blue Heron Drive, Sarasota FL. Sold in 1982 to Paul Georgetti, who had the house renovated by the Sarasota School of Architecture, In 1984 a second story was added. In 2013 and 2015, Roy Gonzales at the address. For sale in 2015. Sold in 2021 to Loni Graiver who built the house completed in 2021.





1952 - 1833 North Lake Shore Drive, Sarasota FL. Expanded in 2001 by West. Sold in 2017 to Heather Cooper.


1953 - The Myrtle West House, aka Canal House, aka Oxford House, 4909 Oxford Drive, Siesta Key FL. 1100 sf house designed for his mother. Commissioned in 1951. Adjacent house is Tim Seibert's. 1966 addition by Seibert. Featured in Arts and Architecture, December 1953. Also in Florida Modern and the John Howey book. Sold in 2010 to Matthew Kihnke. Sold in 2020 to Robyn Rhodes. Sold in 2021 to Bryan Schmehl.

1953 - The Hudson Beach House, 616 Valencia Road, Venice FL. Designed with Ralph Twitchell. Sold in 2017 to Sara Lowther.

1953 - The Martin Nadelman House, Lido Shores, Sarasota FL. Destroyed.

1955 - The Elizabeth Brownrigg House, 7809 Sanderling Road, Siesta Key FL. Elizabeth was his secretary while with Ralph Twitchell. A bedroom was added in 1968. She lived in the home until at least 1973. Sold to John Bergen. Sold in 1991 to Sylvester Arnold, who added a pool and deck. Sold in 1996 to Robert Kinsey, who added a sunroom, enclosed the garage, and in 1997 added an addition over the garage. Listed for sale in 1998. New house built in 2020. Home was shown in a 1957 issue of Better Homes and Gardens.


1955 - The Dartha and Bill Dennis House, 409 Brice Avenue, Glasgow KY. Designed with Ralph Twitchell. 1850 sf. The bedroom wing is suspended on steel columns above a sloping site; stone walls throughout were a departure from West's typical Florida materials. West selected all furnishings including Eames Compact sofas. Dennis supervised construction; West never visited the site until completion. Won a 1958 Southeast Regional AIA Honor Award. Sold to Scott and Donna Brogdon, Dartha's niece. Sold in 2016 to Ann Gonnella.

1957 - The Jack West House, aka Rookery, Siesta Key FL. Plans at Sarasota County History Center, status unknown.

1959 - The
Hall House, Sarasota FL. Unbuilt.



1960 - The Hilton and Dorothy Leech Art Studio and House, aka Round House, 4433 Riverwood Avenue, Sarasota FL. Sold in 2020 to Daniel William Kuether.

1960 - The Jack West Property, Hidden Harbor subdivision, Siesta Key FL. Plans at History Center, status unknown.

1961 - The A. C. McDermott House, Oyster Bay on South Lake Shore Drive,
1800 block, Sarasota FL. Plans at History Center. Confirmed by Guy Peterson.
Status unknown.




1964 - aka Arvida Courtyard House, 363 West Royal Flamingo Drive, Sarasota FL. Built by Jack Lavender, landscape by Lane Marshall; interiors by Phil Hall; B/W photos, Lionel Murphy. Featured in Architectural Record Houses of 1965. Sold in 2016 to Jeremy Duplissey. Renovated in 2019 by Echt Architects, built by Nautilus.

1965 - The William Weld House, 4305 Mangrove Place, Sarasota FL. Status unknown.
Around 1966 - The Richard A. Vinton House, 7940 Sanderling Road, Siesta Key, Sarasota FL. Built by Consentino. Destroyed. Photos by Joseph Steinmetz.

1967 - Apartment building and office, Mound Street, Sarasota FL. Plans at History Center, status unknown.

1969 - Two Housing Authority Projects near Siesta Drive, Sarasota FL. Unsure if built.

1971 - The Jack West House, 6336 Hollywood, Sarasota FL. Destroyed
around 2005. Won an Florida AIA Merit Award.

1972 - The HUD Housing Remodel, East of and adjacent to Orange Avenue from 19th Street to 24th Street, Sarasota FL. Original dates of housing 1941, 1953, and 1960. Remodel included rewiring, tile floors, new doors, and bathrooms.

1973 - Apartment building, West and Conyers, Sarasota FL. Plans at History Center. Status unknown.

1981 - House in Saint Armands, Sarasota FL. Status unknown.

1983 - The Zoller Garden Apartments, 621 9th Avenue West, Bradenton FL. Low income senior apartments that were destroyed in 2003. There were several lawsuits, and another architect was brought in during construction to check West's plans, which were said to "lack detail."



1999 - aka Hunters Point House, 4510 125th Street West, Cortez FL. Built by Brent Whitehead. 2 acre compound features 3 docks, main house, guest house, and four cottages. Sold around 2011 to Item Development Inc / Peter and Eva Thurell. Sold in 2020 to Clint Burgess.

Year unknown - The William Guisewite Residence and Guest Apartment, Benjamin Franklin Drive, Lido Key FL. Plans at History Center, status unknown.

Year unknown - The Walter Hamilton House, 25 Sandy Hook Road South, Sandy Hook FL. Completely remodeled in 1989. Plans at History Center, status unknown.

Year unknown - The Hans Bottcher House, 22 Sandy Hook Road, Sandy Hook FL. Plans at History Center, status unknown.
Sources include: Florida Memory at the State Library and Archives of Florida; Architectural Record.
