Inland Architect and Builder was founded in Chicago in 1883 by editor Robert Craik McLean as a monthly journal, becoming the publication of the Western Association of Architects and the chief voice of Chicago architecture. In 1887 the title changed to Inland Architect and News Record, and it ran 52 volumes until December 1908, when it was absorbed into American Architect in New York. Robert Prestiano's book The Inland Architect: Chicago's Major Architectural Journal, 1883–1908 is the standard history.
Inland Architect was a revival in 1957, published by the Chicago AIA with Raymond C. Ovresat as editor. Around 1977 architect Harry Weese underwrote it (roughly $40–50K a year plus office space) through Cynthia Davidson's editorship, 1984–91. Weese's illness and the early-'90s construction bust ended the subsidy, and Steven Polydoris (Real Estate News Corporation) took it over in 1994. The magazine stopped around 1998.
Click a link to view a magazine in PDF format. In Windows, right-click to save and download. The magazine files are large. Depending on connection speed, access may take a few minutes.